Founded in 1898, Peking University was initially named as the Imperial University of Peking, whose establishment marked the threshold of modern Chinese higher education. Now with a community of over 40, 000 students, faculty members and staff from a variety of cultural backgrounds, Peking University has become a vibrant and internationalized institution in promoting teaching and academic studies.
Boya Postdoctoral Fellowship, initiated in 2016, aims at drawing prospective young talents worldwide to conduct postdoctoral research and pursue academic excellence at Peking University, Beijing, China. It offers young researchers opportunities to conduct research in diverse branches of learning such as natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, economy and management, information and engineering, and interdisciplines.
In the academic year of 2023, no more than 300 postdoctoral fellowships will be awarded to highly qualified, early-career postdoctoral researchers. Each Fellowship is awarded for 24 consecutive months. Each Fellowship includes annual pre-tax salary 200,000 RMB, social insurances and housing subsidies, etc. 91,000RMB, and 60,000 RMB subsidy for postdocs with no postdoc flats. Postdoctoral Supervisors at Peking University may offer extra subsidy（30,000RMB, 60,000RMB or 90,000RMB per year） based on the applicants’ academic potential and excellence, and performance.
Postdocs with two years’ postdoc research experience are eligible to apply for senior research positions within postdoc track system at Peking University.
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
The fellowship is open to highly qualified researchers of all nationalities who are no more than 35 years old and received their PhD no more than three years prior to the deadlines of the corresponding round of calls listed below.
Selection is based on the applicant’s education backgrounds, academic excellence, quality of the proposed research project, compelling demonstration of the anticipated synergy of the proposed research project and the host institution, recommendation, and the commitment of postdoctoral supervisor at Peking University. Excellent research proposal should include information on how the project will benefit from the research environments of Peking University.
The applicants must identify one faculty member at Peking University who will serve as a postdoctoral supervisor and get his/her written endorsement. The number of the fellowships is limited to no more than 300 for 2023 academic year and will be awarded through two rounds of application and selection in 2023. No more than 200 fellowships will be awarded for the first round and no more than 100 fellowships will be awarded for the second round in 2023. Ph. D candidates who will receive his/her degree in 2023 are eligible to apply for the first round and Ph.D candidates who will receive his/her degree before July 1, 2024 are eligible to apply for the second round.
• January 15, 2023 to March 20, 2023: call for applications.
• April 10, 2023: preliminary evaluation decisions, etc. by schools, departments, institutes or Centers of Peking University
• Late April, 2023: final evaluation and award decisions
• September 1 to October 20, 2023: call for applications.
• November 10, 2023: preliminary evaluation decisions, etc. by schools, departments, institutes or Centers of Peking University
• Late November, 2023: final evaluation and award decisions
• All application documents must be prepared in Chinese or English and include the following:
• Application Form of Peking University Boya Postdoctoral Fellowship (see the attached document);
• Two recommendation letters (including one from the applicant’s doctoral supervisor, the applicant’s academic integrity should be commented by his/her supervisor), the letters should be sent to the corresponding coordinators (see the table below) directly by the referees;
• One explicit endorsement letter by the postdoc supervisor at Peking University including the applicant’s academic backgrounds, research potential and achievements, and comprehensive qualifications, detailed information on the added value for the research project and a clear statement of commitment regarding the physical and intellectual research support that the supervisor will provide to the applicant.
• For information of faculty members at Peking University, please visit: https://www.pku.edu.cn/department.html
Round One: March 20, 2023
Round Two: October 20, 2023