SEAA Worldwide Conferences
The Society for East Asian Archaeology is dedicated to further promoting interest and research in the field of East Asian Archaeology and to enhancing international and interdisciplinary communication. One of the main activities of SEAA is organizing and attending a worldwide SEAA conference every three years with alternating loci among the major world locations. The SEAA Conference is a means for getting together, and for presenting and discussing the latest outcomes in the field of East Asian archaeology among researchers from East Asia and the world.
Upcoming Conference Information
Owing to the continued uncertainty associated with the pandemic, and after discussing the matter with the conference hosts at Kyungpook National University (Daegu, Korea), the SEAA Executive has decided to postpone the June 2021 conference to the summer of 2022. In the meantime, we are happy to announce that our colleagues in Daegu have agreed to host a virtual conference for students of East Asian archaeology at some point during the summer of 2021. This would entail presentations by both undergraduate and graduate students, providing an opportunity for young scholars to share the results of their previous and current research with the broader academic community. At a time when students may be feeling especially isolated from the types of interactions that help sustain interest in, and commitment to our discipline, we believe that a virtual conference for students may both benefit them professionally and appeal to the entire community of scholars of East Asian archaeology. Preparations for the summer 2021 student virtual conference are presently underway and you may expect to receive updates regarding the conference from Sascha Priewe (SEAA Vie-president) and Katrinka Reinhart (SEAA Secretary), both of whom will be working closely with our colleagues at Kyungpook National University in the organization of this exciting student conference.
In conjunction with the virtual conference in summer 2021, SEAA will resume its Student Award program. As was the case for our most recent conference in Nanjing, awardees will be selected based on the quality of their submitted research papers and will be recognized in dedicated sessions at the virtual conference. Awardees in both undergraduate and graduate categories will receive a cash prize, as well as a complimentary 3-year membership in SEAA. More information about application procedures and deadlines will be shared as it becomes available.
- First World Conference of EAANetwork, 10-11 April 1996, Hilton Hawaii Village Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Second Worldwide SEAA Conference, 6-9 July 2000, University of Durham, Durham, UK.
- Third Worldwide SEAA Conference, 16-19 June 2004, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Republic of Korea.
- Fourth Worldwide SEAA Conference, 2-5 June, 2008, Institute of Archaeology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (IACASS), Beijing, PR China
- Fifth Worldwide SEAA Conference, 6-10 June, 2012, Kyushu University Nishijin Plaza and Seinan Gakuin University, Fukuoka, Japan
- Sixth Worldwide SEAA Conference, June 2014, National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Seventh Worldwide SEAA Conference, 8-12 June 2016, Harvard and Boston Universities, Cambridge and Boston (Massachusetts), USA.
- Eighth Worldwide SEAA Conference, 8-11 June 2018, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China .
Regional Conferences and Roundtables
In addition we had several regional conferences and roundtables in the years between the worldwide conferences.
Annual meetings of the amEAAN (the American branch of EAAN) took place from 1990 to 1997, all in conjunction with the Association for Asian Studies (AAS). Most of them were organized by Prof. Katheryn M. Linduff (University of Pittsburgh, USA).
1997 a conference of the euroEAAN (the European branch of EAAN) took place in Durham, organized by Prof. Gina L. Barnes (Durham University, England), and in conjunction with the Joint East Asian Studies Conference.
For programs and abstracts of previous conferences see: Past Conferences