SEAA Worldwide Conferences
The Society for East Asian Archaeology is dedicated to further promoting interest and research in the field of East Asian Archaeology and to enhancing international and interdisciplinary communication. One of the main activities of SEAA is organizing and attending a worldwide SEAA conference every three years with alternating loci among the major world locations. The SEAA Conference is a means for getting together, and for presenting and discussing the latest outcomes in the field of East Asian archaeology among researchers from East Asia and the world.
Upcoming Conference Information
SEAA 2021 Online Student Conference
June 26–28, 2021
The SEAA 2021 Online Student Conference is co-hosted by SEAA and Professor Sungjoo Lee and colleagues at Kyungpook National University.
The main focus of the conference is undergraduate and graduate student research. It is open to all students of East Asian archaeology, does not require SEAA membership, and is free of charge.
We are accepting proposals for presentations or short films on all topics that highlight the growth and depth of East Asian archaeology in Korea, China, and Japan and adjacent regions, such as Southeast Asia, the Pacific, North Asia, Central Asia and the East Asian diaspora. Examples of possible topics include, but are not limited to: scientific approaches to the archaeology of East Asia, theoretical themes that crosscut geographical boundaries, and studies of particular sites, regions, and cultures.
In conjunction with the virtual conference in summer 2021, SEAA will resume its Student Award program. As was the case for our most recent conference in Nanjing, awardees will be selected based on the quality of their submitted research papers and will be recognized in dedicated sessions at the virtual conference. Awardees in both undergraduate and graduate categories will receive a cash prize, as well as a complimentary 3-year membership in SEAA. More information about application procedures and deadlines will be shared as it becomes available.
To register please visit:
- First World Conference of EAANetwork, 10-11 April 1996, Hilton Hawaii Village Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Second Worldwide SEAA Conference, 6-9 July 2000, University of Durham, Durham, UK.
- Third Worldwide SEAA Conference, 16-19 June 2004, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Republic of Korea.
- Fourth Worldwide SEAA Conference, 2-5 June, 2008, Institute of Archaeology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (IACASS), Beijing, PR China
- Fifth Worldwide SEAA Conference, 6-10 June, 2012, Kyushu University Nishijin Plaza and Seinan Gakuin University, Fukuoka, Japan
- Sixth Worldwide SEAA Conference, June 2014, National University of Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Seventh Worldwide SEAA Conference, 8-12 June 2016, Harvard and Boston Universities, Cambridge and Boston (Massachusetts), USA.
- Eighth Worldwide SEAA Conference, 8-11 June 2018, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China .
Regional Conferences and Roundtables
In addition we had several regional conferences and roundtables in the years between the worldwide conferences.
Annual meetings of the amEAAN (the American branch of EAAN) took place from 1990 to 1997, all in conjunction with the Association for Asian Studies (AAS). Most of them were organized by Prof. Katheryn M. Linduff (University of Pittsburgh, USA).
1997 a conference of the euroEAAN (the European branch of EAAN) took place in Durham, organized by Prof. Gina L. Barnes (Durham University, England), and in conjunction with the Joint East Asian Studies Conference.
For programs and abstracts of previous conferences see: Past Conferences