Curator: Early China Collections
£30,348 per annum
Application Deadline: 12pm on 20 January 2021
The British Museum is seeking a Curator: Early China Collections to join the Asia department. The main purpose of this role is to undertake research into and make publicly accessible areas of the Early China Collections in support of the Museum Operating Plan and all relevant Museum strategies.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- To undertake, and raise money to support, research projects on areas of the Early China collections, particularly the superb ancient bronzes collection.
- To make the collection, and knowledge about it, publicly accessible via publication, digital, display, and broadcast.
- To lead on up-grading the documentation of the collection.
- To support and improve the display of the collection in the Sir Joseph Hotung Gallery and elsewhere both on- and off-site.
- To act as an advocate for the Museum.
- To contribute to general income generation for the Museum.
- To build the collection through acquisition via donation and purchase.
- To work as a team member with colleagues within and beyond the department, and do some departmental administrative work.
- To collaborate with other institutions or groups, and to develop or ensure good relations with relevant stakeholders including in China.
- To assist in the general day-to-day running of the department.
- To have or develop a good understanding of museums and relevant best practice.
- To assist with enquiries from the public in person, in writing, by telephone and via e-mail.
- To change the focus of work as needed in line with museum priorities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Educated to undergraduate degree level in Chinese, Art History, History, Archaeology or other relevant subject.
- Experience of research and publication in the Chinese language.
- Some experience of working with a Chinese collection.
- An understanding of management issues surrounding people, projects and budgets.
- An open and effective communicator, both written and verbally, and a good working knowledge of Chinese