The Board of EAAA is pleased to announce the new call for papers for the 3rd EAAA conference to be held at University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, between 13 and 17 September 2023. The 3rd conference, planned for 2020, that had to be cancelled due to the pandemic will now finally take place. The conference is jointly organized by the European Association for Asian Art and Archaeology (EAAA), the Department of Asian Studies at the University of Ljubljana and the Science and Research Centre Koper, Slovenia. The University of Ljubljana is the oldest and largest scientific and research institution in Slovenia; it is also the only institution in the country where the subject of Chinese, Japanese and Korean Studies can be studied as a full program.
Main aims of the conference are the following:
- To open a dialogue between scholars of Asian art and archaeology and to offer a platform for the presentation and discussion of recent research;
- To highlight the significance of Asian art and archaeology research;
- To focus research on the many collections of Asian art in the European collections and institutions;
- To revise the historical approach that has been prevalent in the study and research of Asian art and archaeology;
- To critically engage and elaborate on existing art theories and methodology;
- To formulate new research vistas, approaches and methods in Asian art and archaeology.
Scholars of Asian art and archaeology from Europe and beyond are invited to submit their proposals for contributions on art and archaeology of China, Japan, Korea, South and Central Asia as well as transregional and transnational studies. The proposals can also focus on art theory, methodology and museum research in the above-mentioned areas. Graduate students are encouraged to submit their proposals.
EAAA board accepts the following formats of participation:
- Panel proposal (max. 250 words), including the name of the panel organizer, the chair, participants and discussant; 3–4 paper abstracts (max. 250 words each)
Individual paper format:
- Paper proposal (max. 250 words)
- Session proposal (max. 250 words), including the name of the organizer, the chair, and participants with an explanation of the chosen format: 2–3 sentences, including time frame (e.g. back-to-back sessions) and presentation/contribution abstracts (max. 250 words each)
All applicants are asked to add a short CV of 100 words, their status and affiliation (e.g. PhD candidate, University of Leeds) as well as contact information (address, telephone number, e-mail) to their application.
Applications in WORD format should be sent to email@example.com by 15 January 2023. Scholars who have submitted their proposals by this deadline will be notified by 15 April 2023. The conference program will be published by May 31, 2023. The language of the conference is English.
Registration A two-year membership (2023–2024) of EAAA (regular 60.- €, students 20.- €) is a prerequisite for all participants. Become an EAAA member here.
The conference registration fee covers coffee breaks, refreshments and the opening reception.
Early bird registration before 31 May 2023
- Regular EAAA members 75.- €
- Student EAAA members 40.- €
Online registration before 15 July 2023
- Regular EAAA members 85.- €
- Student EAAA members 45.- €
On-site registration in Ljubljana, 13–17 September 2023
- Regular EAAA members 95.- €
- Student EAAA members 50.- €
For more information on the EAAA and its conference, please visit EAAA website: http://www.ea-aaa.eu At a later date, suggestions for accommodations in Ljubljana and all other information will be posted on the website.
- For questions related to the conference, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions related to the EAAA, please email: email@example.com
- Nataša Vampelj Suhadolnik (University of Ljubljana & EAAA)
- Hans Bjarne Thomsen (University of Zürich & EAAA)
- Tina Berdajs (University of Ljubljana)
- Helena Motoh (Science and Research Centre Koper)