Project Curator: Korean Collection
Fixed term until 22/03/2021
£30,000 per annum
Application deadline: 12 Noon, on Friday 13 September 2019
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Curator to join the Asian department at the British Museum, working on the Korean collections at the British Museum and assisting in shaping, planning, and delivering the Museum’s Korea-themed programmes. In this role you would also assist in developing and carrying out the Museum’s long-term engagement with Korea and represent the Museum as a scholar in field of Korean cultural studies, including art history or archaeology.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Curate the Korean collections, including through cataloguing and publishing the collection on Merlin (Museum’s database) and by producing regular rotations of the collection in the Korea Foundation Gallery
- Develop the collections through proposing long-term loans and acquisitions
- Publish and lecture on the collections to diverse audiences
- Develop relevant research programmes as fits with the Departmental Plan and/or as approved by the Museum’s research board
- Advise Line-manager and Keeper on relations with Korea and serve as a liaison with the Korean Cultural Centre and other Korean government agencies as well as with UK-based groups focusing on Korea
- Assist with Korean loans (incoming and outgoing), including working with the international touring exhibitions programme, whenever Korean objects are involved, to select objects and create catalogue entries as required
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent in Korean art history, archaeology or history. Fluency in English and Korean is required along with familiarity with Korean culture and cultures of East Asia. You will have demonstrable experience of presentation in seminars, lectures, gallery talks and experience working in a museum, university or related environment. You would have publicised your work or have a publication-ready document. You will have excellent organisational, time management and project delivery skills. You will be an efficient communicator and a team player.