The Society for East Asian Archaeology is dedicated to
further promoting interest and research in the field of East Asian Archaeology
and to enhancing international and interdisciplinary communication. One
of the main activities of SEAA is organizing and attending a worldwide SEAA
conference every four years, in alternation with IPPA
(Indo Pacific Prehistory Association) meetings, and
with alternating loci among the major world locations. The SEAA Conference is a
means for getting together, and for presenting and discussing the latest
outcomes in the field of East Asian archaeology among researchers from East Asia
and the world.
- First World Conference of EAANetwork, 10-11 April 1996,
Hilton Hawaii Village Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Second Worldwide SEAA Conference, 6-9
University of Durham, Durham, UK.
- Third Worldwide SEAA Conference, 16-19 June 2004, Chungnam National University, Daejeon,
Republic of Korea.
- Fourth Worldwide SEAA Conference, 2-5 June, 2008, Institute of
Archaeology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (IACASS), Beijing, PR China
- Fifth Worldwide SEAA Conference, 6-10 June, 2012, Kyushu University
Nishijin Plaza and Seinan Gakuin University, Fukuoka, Japan
- Sixth Worldwide SEAA Conference, June 2014, National University of
Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Seventh Worldwide SEAA Conference, 8-12 June 2016, Harvard and Boston
Universities, Cambridge and Boston (Massachusetts), USA.
- Eighth Worldwide SEAA Conference, 8-11 June 2018, Nanjing University,
Nanjing, China .
Regional Conferences and Roundtables
In addition we had several regional conferences and roundtables in the years
between the worldwide conferences.
Annual meetings of the amEAAN (the American branch of EAAN) took place from 1990 to 1997, all
in conjunction with the Association for Asian Studies (AAS). Most of them were
organized by Prof. Katheryn M. Linduff (University of Pittsburgh, USA).
1997 a conference of the euroEAAN (the European branch of EAAN) took place in Durham, organized by Prof.
Gina L. Barnes (Durham University, England), and in conjunction with the Joint East Asian Studies Conference.
For programs and abstracts of previous conferences see the Archive.
- 1996, First World Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
- 2000, Second Worldwide SEAA Conference, Durham, England
- 2004, Third Worldwide SEAA Conference, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
- 2008, Fourth Worldwide Conference of the SEAA, Beijing, P.R. China
- 2012, Fifth Worldwide Conference of the SEAA, Fukuoka, Japan
- 2014, Sixth Worldwide Conference of the SEAA,
- 2016, Seventh Worldwide Conference of the SEAA,